WordPress is a famous open source blogging platform which offers numerous options to tweak and customize its features. One of its great USP is to install the WordPress software in sub folders (www.example.com/folder) and yet have it running in the root folder (www.example.com).
Below is a small tutorial to try this out :-
1. Install the WordPress with its famous 3 click install at www.example.com/folder.
2. Copy the index.php and .htaccess files from the WordPress directory (www.example.com/folder) into the root directory of your site.
3. Edit the index.php file with a txt editor and replace (‘./wp-blog-header.php’) with (‘./folder/wp-blog-header.php’). Basically it points the index file to the one installed in the folder directory.
4. Login to the Dashboard and click on “General Settings”
5. Change the Blog address (URL) from www.example.com/folder to www.example.com.
You can download the latest version of WordPress >> Download